]A lot of people wonder how important is air duct cleaning because it’s in the news constantly. There are also a lot of people selling local air duct cleaning services.
Some of these air duct cleaning companies are not doing things correctly, so I want to share some info.
Info On Air Duct Cleaning
The EPA provides great info on air duct cleaning and indoor air quality. However, I also understand their disclaimers about reading the articles all the way through too.
We are going to make it easy because you should clean your air ducts if:
- There appears to be visible mold growth. Mold often grows in heating and cooling systems, so it’s a good idea to have a local HVAC company do an inspection once a year. You can also get a mold test done if you find a substance you suspect may be mold. A mold test can be fairly cheap.
- You have animals, insects, rodents, food, or other organic material in your air ducts.
- Signs of water damage or build up.
- There are pets in the home.
- You’re moving in.
- People are developing breathing issues like allergies or asthma in the house.
- You have kids under 5 or elderly people in the home.
What Is Air Duct Cleaning?
I was cleaning air ducts back at the beginning of the century because I’m old. Now, people are starting to catch up on the whole indoor air quality thing. You can even buy a fancy air purifier with a HEPA filter in it online. However, most people are not aware of what air duct cleaning looks like.
Professional air duct cleaning companies use gigantic machines that attach to your heating and air system. Do not let the idiot with a large shop vac do work on your heating ducts. The air duct cleaner that knows what he is doing will have a whip system. The industrial HEPA vacuum a professional air duct cleaner uses is awesome to watch. It attaches to your trunk lines.
Once the air duct cleaner has the HEPA vacuum system going they put a whip brush system down each vent and return. This brush system knocks all the dirt, debris, organic material or whatever else is in your system lose. Once the contaminants are no longer stuck to the side of your air system the vacuum does the rest. There is a night and day difference when you have your air duct cleaning done professionally.