Tips on how to use any social media service online:
- Hone your profile to meet your goals: Every major social networking site provides you with a profile that you can optimize to meet your goals. Even Facebook gives you plenty of space to introduce your business in your profile. Make sure your profile doesn’t contain anything that you don’t want your boss or customers to see. People will judge you on what they see on your social media profile. The best part is you can control everything so make your image worth seeing. Make sure to include your other social media and website links in your profile bio or summary.
- Choose your social media service wisely: Different social media sites provide different services and audiences. Some social media sites focus on dating and other sites lean toward professional interest. You can also find social media sites that mix business and pleasure. Time can fly by quickly while you are having fun on social media so make sure to focus on your goals.
- Understand the rules and culture: Every social media service has its own rules and culture long before you create a profile. The rules and culture of one site may get you in trouble on another site. Therefore, it always pays to take a little time to research the rules and culture before you start really using a social media service. Gossip and reputation can spread quickly through social media so it pays to understand the different customs on any site you join.
- Don’t be pushy: This tip works for any social media service because no one likes pushy salespeople on social media. If you hone your profile and share content people like then you don’t need to be pushy to generate leads for your business. Being pushy can also ruin your reputation quicker than about anything else. You really do catch more bees with honey when it comes to social media networking and marketing. Use your profile to introduce your product or service. Use your content and friendly social media engagement to get people to your profile. It really is that simple.
- Do what you promise: Do not make promises that you can not or will not keep. You need to follow through on the things that you promise people or you will lose all credibility. If you promise to help someone then you should help them. It’s OK if you have to say no to things. Most people will agree that a direct no is better than an insincere yes. Don’t give people false hope or waste their time.
- Be mindful of your connections reputation: People are taking a risk by connecting with you through any social media networking service. Reputation is very important to people that are trying to make a living through social media marketing. If you become a connection of someone online your actions can affect them. It’s so important to be aware of how your content and engagement can affect your friends or professional connections.
- Get ready for face-to-face meetings: If you make a good impression online then you can expect people to desire face-to-face meetings. Face-to-face meets are also the best way to take any professional or social relationship to the next level. If you make a good impression on social media expect people to want to meet in person. Social selling through social media often requires face-to-face meetings at some point.
- We rise by lifting others: Helping others can also really help yourself. Follow the Golden Rule when it comes to how you treat people online and you will go far. Networking is reciprocal, so do treat others as you want to be treated. People are more likely to remember and help those that help them. Be a good team player and your team will be good for you.